- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup minced fresh dill
- lemon zest from 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter cubed, plus 1 tablespoon melted
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening, divided into 1/2 tablespoons
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Mix all dry ingredients with lemon zest and dill.
- Cut butter and vegetable shorting into mixture making sure no large clumps are visible.
- Add 1/4 cup buttermilk at a time stirring until combined and slightly sticky.
- Add to 12″ Cast iron skillet using at 1/3 or 1/2 measuring cup.
- Brush each top with melted butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.