If you prefer no sugar in your cornbread, this is the recipe for you. Traditional Southern Cornbread will go great with chili or as a side with beans.
- 10" cast iron skillet
- 2 tbsp rendered bacon fat or 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour all-purpose
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk whole
- ¼ cup butter unsalted, melted
- 1 egg large
- Preheat oven to 425°F and place bacon fat in 2 cornbread pans with 7 places for cornbread or a 10-inch skillet. Preheat the cornbread pans while doing the next step.
- In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients. In another bowl, combine all wet ingredients. Gradually combine the wet ingredients while stirring in the dry ingredients. The batter should be combined completely.
- Add batter to cornbread pans. The batter should sizzle when pouring in. Place in oven and cook for 425 degrees for 20 minutes. You will know it is done when you can stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean. Much like when you check brownies.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, serve warm with honey.
Dutch Oven Daddy is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.