Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownie
Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownie or a skillet Brookie is a wonderfully decadent and rich dessert that combines two favorite desserts into one.
If your sweet-tooth is craving a slightly less indulgent dessert, try our Skillet Snickerdoodle Cookie, Skillet Caramel Brownies, Chocolate-Butterscotch Skillet Brownies or Skillet Cookie (Pizookie).
This post has been updated from it’s original August 14, 2017 publishing with new photography, content, and clarified recipe card.
What is a Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownie?
The answer lies within the question but a chocolate chip cookie brownie starts with a cookie dough base and adds a layer of brownie batter over that. During the baking process, the two marble together.
Another name for this dessert is a brookie. I am not sure by whom or when this term came about, but it does deserve a name of its own.
Our version would be considered a deluxe brookie because we have magical middle layer to make this dessert truly over the top.
We have added a layer of crushed Oreo cookies between the dough and the batter. (We’ll wait while you stop swooning.)
Chewy Fudge Chocolate Brookies
By adding the smashed Oreo layer, the brookie becomes this incredibly ooey-gooey, chewy, fudge-y dessert that you’ll need a tall glass of cold milk to wash it down with.
How to make brookies with brownie mix and cookie dough
We do not begrudge anyone who wants to make this 100% homemade. But this recipe isn’t that. We have zero shame in using the ingredients we do because this recipe is perfect for making while camping.
And for you campers out there, you know how important it is to make things as simple as possible. But honestly, how many home cooks want things simple too? Many.
As you know, we love everything in cast iron. Occasionally, we come across a recipe we prefer in enameled cast iron over bare metal.
This is not one of those recipes. We just love this recipe so much, we’ve made it twice, once in each type of cast iron.
Fortunately, this is a simple recipe with minimal required ingredients.
- Boxed Brownie Mix — we used Pillsbury chocolate fudge. You will also need the ingredients to make the mix: oil, water, and eggs.
- Oreo Cookies — we used the original.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough — we’ve used both Pillsbury and Nestle refrigerated cookie dough.
Step by step directions
Step 1 — Remove 2/3 of the cookies. (two full rows, about 24 cookies, or 10 oz.)
Step 2 — Place the cookies in a zip-seal bag and crush them. We often use a meat mallet to crush them, but a rolling pin, zealous toddler, or a moody, angst-y teenager can get the job done too.
Step 3 — Press the cookie dough down into the skillet as evenly as possible.
Step 4 — Add the crushed Oreos on top of the cookie dough. As you can see, we’ve lightly crushed and nearly pulverized the cookies. You do you this way!
Step 5 — Make the brownie mix according to package directions and pour over the two cookie layers in your pan. Bake for 45-60 minutes at 350°F.
Yes, I know this is a widely varying cooking time difference but the cookie dough brand, brownie batter consistency, and type of skillet affects the total cooking time. Use a toothpick to determine done-ness. However, if its ooey-gooey, it’ll be hard to tell.
And to make this extra special challenging, the cookie bottom will burn with just the slightest over-cooking.
That’s up to you! If you use 3 eggs, the brownie will be more cake-like. If you use 2 eggs, it will be more gooey. It’s a personal preference.
Well, that’s how we roll, but this recipe can be made using your baking pan of choice.
1. Heat coals in a charcoal chimney.
2. Once hot, place 12 coals on bottom (camp table, fire pit, etc).
3. Nestle camp oven on top of the coals.
4. Recipe construction
5. Cover with the camp oven lid.
6. Place heated coals over the entire lid.
7. Cook per recipe directions.
8. Use a lid-lifter to remove lid when done.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownie
- 12-inch cast iron skillet OR
- 5 quart enameled Dutch Oven
- 30 oz chocolate chip cookie dough
- 10 oz Oreo cookie
- 1 box brownie mix
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Crush Oreo's in a zip-seal bag and set aside.
- Evenly press chocolate chip cookie dough to the bottom of skillet.
- Add the crushed Oreo cookies atop the cookie dough.
- Prepare Brownie mix as package indicates and pour over cookies.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until brownie is done; test using a toothpick.
- Serve and enjoy.
More delicious desserts:
- Dutch Oven Cinnamon Rolls
- Sriracha Brownies from The Complete Savorist
- Slow Cooker Blackberry Cobbler from The Magical Slow Cooker
- Skillet Cherry Chocolate Cake
- Amaretto Pound Cake from Family Fresh Meals
Got to try this recipe….Yummy…
Can’t wait to see how you like this one! Happy cooking.
Really love it yummy!!!
I really appreciate your feedback! So glad you enjoyed this recipe! This is a great one for camping with friends and family. 🙂
I am drooling over this recipe!
Can’t wait to make this with the kids. They have been begging for brownies lately and this is the one I want to try.
Just make sure they each have a tall glass of cold milk to go with these!
Wow! I love all the delicious layers in this rich and decadent brownie. I can’t wait to dig in!
This combines all of my favourite things into one recipe. Thank you so much for sharing, this was such a hit in my house! 🙂
WHat a delicious-looking brownie recipe. Thanks a lot for sharing