Dutch Oven Lamb Shanks are a delicious and hearty main dish that is perfect for a cozy and comforting meal. The dish starts with large lamb shanks, which are browned in a Dutch oven and then simmered in a flavorful chicken broth, herbs, and onions.
The combination of the tender meat and rich, savory sauce creates a warm and comforting flavor, and the Dutch oven ensures that the lamb is cooked evenly and to perfection. Dutch Oven Lamb Shanks are a great option for a special occasion or a dinner party, and they are also perfect for a weeknight dinner. Serve the lamb shanks with a side of mashed potatoes or crusty bread to soak up the delicious sauce.
Dutch Oven Lamb Shanks
- 2.5 quart Dutch Oven
- 3 lb lamb shank
- 2 tbsp flour all purpose
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- 4 sprigs dill finely chopped
- ½ medium onion sliced in half moons
- 1 lemon thinly slicked and seeds picked out
- 5 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 16 oz orzo pasta cooked according to package
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper and dust with the flour, shaking off any excess.
- In a 2.5 quart Dutch oven, heat olive oil.
- Sear the lamb shanks on all sides over moderately high heat.
- Add chicken broth and onion.
- Add dill to all sides of lamb shanks and add to dutch oven.
- Add sliced lemons to the Dutch oven and cover.
- Bake for 4-5 hours until lamb is 165 degrees internal temperature.
Dutch Oven Daddy is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.