Skillet Braised Chicken Thighs is a delicious meal served over Zucchini Waffles.
Skillet Braised Chicken Thighs
- 12" cast iron skillet
- 2 slices bacon cut into small strips
- 2 lbs chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 2 tbsp flour
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Heat a dutch oven or chicken fryer over low heat.
- Add the bacon strips and cook slowly until crisp and most of the fat has been rendered..
- Removed the bacon and reserve for later.
- Crank the heat to high. Season your chicken thighs liberally with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place in the pan and sear for about 2 minutes on both sides until nice and golden brown. The goal is not to fully cook the chicken at this point, just brown it. Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to work in batches to give your chicken enough surface area to brown evenly.
- Reduce heat to medium and remove chicken. If your pan is starting to look dry, you may need to add a drizzle of oil before adding your vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté vegetables until tender.
- Add flour and cook while stirring for 1 minute.
- Add white wine and cook for another minute. The wine will soften any brown bits stuck to the bottom of your pan, so be sure to scrape them up while you are mixing. That’s pure flavor!
- Finally add chicken stock and return your chicken and bacon to the pan. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Then let simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes to help the gravy thicken and reduce.
- Spoon a few chicken thighs and gravy over a zucchini potato waffle and enjoy!
Dutch Oven Daddy is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.