Skillet Chicken Enchilada Pie with homemade sauce is a great dinner option!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion diced
- 2 small cans green chilis
- 1 jar chunky salsa
- 2 packages large flour tortillas
- 2 bags shredded nacho cheese blend
- 2 jalapenos
- Heat oil over med-high heat in small saucepan. Add flour and whisk together for 1 min.
- Stir in remaining seasonings(chili powder, garlic, salt, cumin, oregano)
- Gradually add in the chicken stock whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat, simmer 10-15 mins until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cut chicken into small cubes.
- Heat a 12″ cast iron skillet and oil.
- Cook chicken and onion until chicken is done.
- Add 2 cans of green chilis and cook over med-low heat for a few mins.
- Add Jar of salsa, stir, turn heat to low and let sit for 5 mins stirring occasionally.
- Oil a 12″-14″ cast iron skillet and lay down a layer of flour tortillas.
- Spoon half of the chicken mix on top of tortillas, spoon some sauce over top and add a layer of cheese.
- Add another layer of tortillas, then the rest of the chicken mixture, sauce and cheese.
- Add one more layer of tortillas, then pour remaining enchilada sauce over them to cover.
- Cover the top in the rest of the cheese
- Add slices of jalapenos to the top.
- Cover with foil and cook in preheated oven for 20 mins.
- Remove foil, continue cooking until cheese is bubbly.