Skillet Chicken Enchilada Pie is a delicious and easy one-pan dinner that’s perfect for busy weeknights.
This savory and hearty dish is made with layers of tortillas, juicy chicken, black beans, corn, and melted cheese, all topped with a zesty enchilada sauce. The layers of ingredients create a delicious and satisfying meal that’s perfect for the whole family. The result is a rich and flavorful dish that’s sure to become a new family favorite. Serve it with a side salad, some guacamole, or a dollop of sour cream for a complete meal that’s sure to satisfy.
Skillet Chicken Enchilada Pie
- 2 12" Cast Iron Skillets
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cumin ground
- ¼ tsp oregano dried
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 1 onion diced
- 8 oz green chilis diced (canned)
- 16 oz salsa chunky
- 32 large flour tortillas
- 16 oz nacho cheese shredded blend
- 2 jalapeños
- Heat oil over med-high heat in small saucepan. Add flour and whisk together for 1 min.
- Stir in remaining seasonings(chili powder, garlic, salt, cumin, oregano)
- Gradually add in the chicken stock whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat, simmer 10-15 mins until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Cut chicken into small cubes.
- Heat a 12" cast iron skillet and oil.
- Cook chicken and onion until chicken is done.
- Add green chilis and cook over med-low heat for a few mins.
- Add salsa, stir, turn heat to low and let sit for 5 mins stirring occasionally.
- Oil a 12" cast iron skillet and lay down a layer of flour tortillas.
- Spoon half of the chicken mix on top of tortillas, spoon some sauce over top and add a layer of cheese.
- Add another layer of tortillas, then the rest of the chicken mixture, sauce and cheese.
- Add one more layer of tortillas, then pour remaining enchilada sauce over them to cover.
- Cover the top in the rest of the cheese.
- Add slices of jalapenos to the top.
- Cover with foil and cook in preheated oven for 20 mins.
- Remove foil, continue cooking until cheese is bubbly.
Dutch Oven Daddy is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.