This Skillet Chorizo Cheese Dip is no ordinary cheese dip with a meaty bottom and a melted cheesy top. Perfect for any gathering!
This post has been updated from its original December 31, 2017 publishing with new content, photographs, and updated recipe card.
For a spicy twist on a cheese dip, try this Skillet Chorizo Cheese Dip.
Make it for your backyard barbecues or your next game day. Your family and guests will love this hearty, meaty cheesy dip!
This is not a queso dip or even a cheese dip like you’re thinking. It’s actually a meaty dip with a gooey, melted cheesy top.
What is Chorizo?
The short answer is that Chorizo is a highly seasoned pork. It is popular in both Mexico and Spain, but the two countries make it quite different.
What’s the Difference Between Mexican Chorizo and Spanish Chorizo?
We are using Mexican Chorizo for this recipe. It is uncooked, ground pork. It must be cooked through. You may recognize the dish Huevos Rancheros or Chorizo street tacos.
In Spain, Chorizo is more often smoked and in hard sausage form.
Is this Chorizo Cheese Dip Spicy?
In this dish, the cheese balances out the spiciness perfectly. However, if you buy spicy Mexican chorizo, then it will be spicy, but overall chorizo is fairly tame.
What should I serve with Chorizo Cheese Dip?
Serve this meaty dip with corn chips, bell pepper slices, potato chips, french bread chunks, pita bread, or anything else that strikes your fancy!
Add some other fun finger foods and appetizers and have a party!
How to make Skillet Chorizo Cheese Dip?
Preheat your oven to 350°F and grab your favorite 10-inch cast iron skillet.
Brown the chorizo, onion, and jalapeño over medium-high heat until the chorizo is fully cooked and the vegetables have softened.
Spread mozzarella cheese evenly over the chorizo mixture. Then sprinkle some freshly chopped cilantro over the top for a bit of color after it’s all cooked.
Toss it all in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Serve this tasty dish hot. Feel free to garnish with freshly chopped cilantro, lime wedges, fresh salsa, sliced jalapeños, and maybe even some sour cream and guacamole.
Skillet Chorizo Cheese Dip
- 10" cast iron skillet
- 10 oz ground chorizo fresh; Mexican
- 1 cup onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeño finely diced
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tsp cilantro chopped
- Lime wedges
- Sliced jalapeños
- Chopped cilantro
- Fresh salsa / pico de gallo
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Brown the chorizo, onion, and jalapeño until chorizo is fully cooked and the vegetables have softened.
- Spread the mozzarella evenly over the chorizo.
- Sprinkle the fresh cilantro over the top as a garnish flourish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Easy Dip Recipes for a Crowd
We can all use more delicious dip recipes. You’re bound to find some tasty options below:
- Skillet Cheesy Roasted Red Pepper Dip
- No-Fuss Bean Dip from The Complete Savorist
- Slow Cooker Bacon Cheeseburger Dip from The Magical Slow Cooker
- Skillet Artichoke Dip
- Green Chile Corn Dip from The Complete Savorist
- Crockpot Cheesy Rotel Dip from The Rockstar Mommy
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Dip
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip from The Magical Slow Cooker
- Homemade Loaded Queso from Aunt Bee’s Recipes