Dutch Oven Chili Mac is a classic retro recipe that can be made with either ground beef or turkey, and is destined to still be a favorite.
Dutch Oven Chili Mac
- 4 qt. Dutch Oven
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 12 oz onion (1 medium), finely diced
- ¾ tbsp chili powder +/-, to taste
- ½ tbsp ground coriander or cumin for a smokier flavor
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp garlic (about 3 cloves), minced/grated
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 16 oz tomato sauce (two-8 oz cans)
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 oz diced green chiles
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican blend
- Heat the Dutch oven over medium high heat, add the oil once hot.
- Add the beef, onions, and spices in the Dutch oven; stir well.
- Brown the ground beef completely; about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and brown sugar; mix well and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomato sauce, water, and macaroni; cover.
- Cook, stirring often and keeping the heat at a steady simmer, until the macaroni is tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Stir in the corn, green chiles, cilantro, and half the cheese; mix well.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Cover and let sit off the heat until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
Dutch Oven Daddy is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.