Dutch Oven Buttered Asparagus and Spring Peas is a really tasty side dish to compliment your holiday spread.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 lbs asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh sweet peas
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- Garnish: lemon wedges
- Bring a large saucepan of water to boil over high heat.
- Add asparagus, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add peas; cook 1 minute more. Immediately drain, and rinse with cold water.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add blanched asparagus and peas to skillet.
- Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add tarragon, parsley, chives, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Garnish with lemon, if desired.
Credit: Southern Cast Iron Magazine Spring 2016 edition page 40.