Skillet Barbecue Chicken n' Sausage
Skillet Barbecue Chicken n' Sausage can be on the table in 30 minutes or less; great in a toasted bun with cheese or even served over rice or quinoa.
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil any cooking oil; divided
- ½ cup onions thinly sliced
- 2 bell peppers green & yellow, but any
- 4 oz. mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. salt divided; +/-, to taste
- 1 tsp. pepper divided; +/-, to taste
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic divided; +/-, to taste
- 1½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast (2 breasts/1-1¾lbs.); cubed
- 14 oz. smoked sausage sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro divided; finely chopped
- 1 cup barbecue sauce homemade or prepared
- 6 oz cheddar cheese 1 oz slices; each slice halved
- 6 hoagie rolls toasted; (steak or submarine rolls, hamburger buns)
- 2 tbsp. butter (optional for toasting buns)
Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a 12” skillet, add onions, cook ~1 minute
Add the peppers and mushrooms; cook 3 minutes or until soft yet still crisp
Season with ½ tsp. salt, pepper, and garlic.
Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add remaining oil to skillet (if needed) on medium high heat.
Add the chicken evenly to the skillet; allow it to get a sear before stirring.
Season with remaining ½ tsp. salt, pepper, and garlic.
Cook for 3-5 minutes.
When nearly done, add the sausage, warm through and finish chicken.
Add 3 tbsp. cilantro; stir well.
Add BBQ sauce; stir to combine. (start with ½ cup, adding more to desired wetness.)
Taste for seasoning, add more if desired.
Lightly butter the inside of each roll/bun.
Heat a skillet over medium heat, once hot, place bread buttered side down.
Toast until golden; about 2 minutes
Add cheddar cheese to the bread; slices should be broken in half if using rectangular bread.
Layer in the meat mixture.
Top with vegetables.
Garnish with the remaining fresh cilantro.
Serve and enjoy.
- Any color bell pepper will work. We chose those for contrasting with the meat mixture.
- We used sharp cheddar cheese, but any will do.
- The amount of barbecue varied for tasters, ¾ cup was perfect for some, while others wanted the full cup.
Calories: 847kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 46g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 160mg | Sodium: 2008mg | Potassium: 867mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 1835IU | Vitamin C: 54mg | Calcium: 246mg | Iron: 13mg