Cast Iron Cheddar Bacon Beer Brats
Cast Iron Cheddar Bacon Beer Brats are great in a bun with your favorite toppings or plated along any and every side dish for a complete meal.
- 8 cheddar bacon bratwursts
- 1 tsp granulated garlic 1 tbsp fresh/ minced
- 4 oz yellow onion diced
- 4 oz bell pepper diced
- 24 oz dark ale/beer
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp whole peppercorns
Optional items for serving
- 8 bratwurst buns
- 8 oz onions thinly sliced or diced
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
Add the beer, garlic, salt, onion, and whole peppercorns to a Dutch oven (or skillet); bring to a boil.
Add the bratwursts.
Bring to a boil then cover.
Boil for 30 minutes.
Once done, reserving ¼ cup of the liquid, drain the rest; discard.
Heat the skillet over medium high heat. (see notes)
Sear the brats, (in batches if necessary, do not crowd them) on all sides to a deep golden brown, slowly incorporting the reserved liquid.
Remove from heat.
Notes on making beer brats
- Any Dutch oven, 3 quarts or larger will work.
- If using a Dutch oven, drain off and out all the braising liquid and sear the brats in the same pot instead of a separate skillet.
- A 12-inch skillet with a lid can be used to make the recipe instead of a Dutch oven.
Calories: 970kcal | Carbohydrates: 94g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 2597mg | Potassium: 933mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 969IU | Vitamin C: 45mg | Calcium: 329mg | Iron: 6mg