This recipe will serve 15-20 people but can easily be cut in half and placed in a 10 inch skillet.
2 (14.1-ounce) packages refrigerated pie crusts
2 cups granulated sugar
5 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled (about 15 cups)
2 pounds fresh blueberries (about 6 cups)
1/2 cup cornstarch
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest (optional)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons coarse sugar
Vanilla ice cream, to serve
In a large bowl, mix the 2 cups of sugar with strawberries and blueberries and let rest for 30 minutes.
Lightly flour a surface and unroll 1 piecrust. Drizzle with water and place another piecrust on top. With a knife, cut 5 strips that are 1 inch to 1.5 inch thick. Save strips for later.
Repeat the steps with the 2 remaining piecrusts. This time cut 9 stars using a 2.5 inch star cutter and 5 stars using a 3 inch star cutter.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Put the berry mixture in a large 15″ skillet. The fruit will be hard to stir because it will be above the top. Don’t worry, this will cook down. Cook over medium/high heat until the mixture is bubbly and the sauce is thick. Stir in butter and lemon zest.
Place pie crust strips and stars on top of the mixture, brush egg lightly on the pie crust pieces and sprinkle with coarse sugar. This will help make the crust sugary and golden brown.
Place in oven for 20-30 minutes. Check oven as you don’t want the crust to burn. It is done when the crust is golden brown. Be careful pulling this out of the oven as it will be very hot and very heavy.
Credit: Southern Cast Iron Summer 2016 (page 23)
1.Mix ingredients together and cover each fillet with mixture and wrap in aluminum foil and refrigerate for 4-5 hours.
2. Unwrap salmon and add to 13" cast iron skillet.
3. Start smoker on smoke setting and cook for 30 minutes.
4. Increase smoker setting to 225 degrees and cook for 45 to 60 minutes.
5. Serve with lemons.
1. In a 10 inch skillet over
medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy.
2. Add the onion and cook until softened- about 5 minutes.
3. Add the sweet potato and cook for another 5 minutes until the potato is warmed through.
4. Make 4 little spaces in the mixture and crack an egg into each one.
5. Cover and continue to cook until desired doneness. About 5-7 minutes for eggs that are still runny.
6. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over each egg.
7. Serve straight from the skillet.