1 tablespoon yeast
1 cup warm water (use hot water from the tap)
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. salt
1-2 Tb. olive oil
2-1/2 cups unbleached flour (I usually add 1 c. whole wheat)
sauce and toppings of choice
Add yeast to a mixing bowl. Pour the 1 cup hot tap water over it and mix.
Add the remaining ingredients and let the mixer run at medium speed until the dough clears the side of the bowl (you can do this by hand: beat vigorously for 30 strokes).
Let dough rest in the bowl 15-20 minutes while you preheat the oven and prep the toppings.
On a large baking sheet or pizza pan/stone, sprinkle a bit of cornmeal. With oiled hands, remove the dough from the bowl and pull/shape into a general rectangle or circle (depending on your pan), then lay it on top of your cornmeal coated pan. Using a rolling pin or your hands, flatten and stretch the dough to fill the pan.
Bake the dough for 10 minutes in a 425 degree oven (you don’t have to, but it ensures a fully cooked center crust, no matter how many toppings you add).
Remove prebaked crust from the oven and spread with your toppings: sauce, shredded cheese, cooked meat and chopped vegetables.
Place topped pizza back into oven and bake for 10-15 minutes more, or until cheese is melted and toppings are browned.
Slide the whole pizza from the pan to a cutting board and slice into pieces.
Credit: Cast Iron Cooking Facebook Group (Roberta Rydstrom Miller)
2.5 lbs chicken wings
1 small minced shallot
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup Maple Syrup
1/2 cup bourbon
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 teaspoons adobo sauce
1. Smoke chicken wings at 200 degrees using apple or pecan chips for 1 hour
2. Add chicken wings to 13" cast iron skillet and smoke at 375 degrees for 30 minutes
2. Prepare maple bourbon sauce in a 2.5 quart Dutch oven by adding minced shallot and butter and saute until tender
3. Add maple syrup and bourbon along with ketchup and mustard
4. Simmer until mixture gets thick, it will take about 20 minutes
5. Remove chicken wings from the smoker and baste sauce on each side of the wings.
22 gallon Plastic Bin or Drum
6-8 gauge Copper Wire
Anode (Regular scrap steel, i.e. Lawn Mower blades or any regular non metallic non galvanized steel)
Battery Charger Manual Operating
Laundry Booster (1.5 cups per 10 gallons)
Put metal inside of plastic container. Secure the copper wire to the metal weather its wrapping around metal or fastening with screws. Fill container until its almost to top. Place PVC pipe on top with a bent coat hanger to be able to hang the cast iron piece from the top. Mix your wash into water. Connect the hot (red) lead to metal and negative (black) to wire holding piece. Turn on charger. Keep cast iron piece in the tank for 24 hours. Other cast iron pieces that need more work may need 48 hours. Keep checking back to see if the crud and gunk is all fallen off into the water mixture. If it is, its ready to be scrubbed.
1 - Jar of Pickle Spears
1 - 20 oz package Applewood Smoked Thick Cut Bacon
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Wrap each pickle spear with a full slice of bacon (This should make around 11-12 spears)
3. Place each wrapped spear in a 12" skillet
4. Bake in oven for 25 minutes
5. Turn oven to broil for 5 minutes until bacon is fully cooked
2 sandhill crane breasts
2 12 oz packages of bacon
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Brine Sandhill Crane Breasts in Brine for 24 hours. Use about 3-5 tablespoons of salt and enough water to cover the breasts.
2. Dry off crane and cut into bite sized pieces.
3. Season crane pieces lightly with salt and pepper.
4. Slice bacon in half and wrap each piece and keep wrapped with a toothpick through the middle.
5. Preheat a 12" cast iron skillet with extra virgin olive oil. Use medium low heat.
6. Add bacon wrapped crane into the skillet and cook until bacon is cooked on all sides. After the bacon has cooked on most sides remove toothpicks.
8 all beef hotdogs
8 slices bacon
8 Homemade style hotdog buns
1 small can of puree'd pickled jalapeños
1 can pinto beans warmed
3 diced roma tomatoes
1/2 diced onion
1. Heat 12" skill to medium high heat.
2. Tightly wrap each hotdog with 1 slice of bacon.
3. Add bacon wrapped hotdogs to skillet and cook until bacon is fully done.
4. Add hotdog inside hotdog bun and add toppings.
2 cups flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 small can pumpkin
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup vegatable oil
In a 10" Dutch oven, spray with cooking spray.
Combine all dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
In a sperate large bowl combine until mixed all wet ingredients.
Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Top with cream cheese frosting (about 1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound ground beef or lean ground turkey
1 onion, minced
3/4 tablespoon chili powder (add more if you want more heat)
1/2 tablespoon ground coriander (substitute ground cumin for a smokier flavor)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
2 cups water
8 ounces (2 cups) elbow macaroni
1 cup frozen corn
2/3 can of 4.5-oz can chopped green chiles
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 cups shredded cheese (Monterey style or Mexican style cheese)
Heat oil in a 5 quart Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add beef and spices in the Dutch oven. Brown the ground beef completely. Stir in garlic and brown sugar and continue to cook for about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato sauce, water, and macaroni. Cover and cook, stirring often and keeping the heat at a steady simmer, until the macaroni is tender, about 12-15 minutes.
Stir in half of the cheese, frozen corn, green chiles and cilantro and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top. Cover and let sit off the heat until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes.
Credit: Mel's Kitchen Cafe - http://www.melskitchencafe.com/skillet-chili-mac-with-corn-and-green-chiles/
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons. baking powder
1 1/3 cups whole blanched almonds
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
1 1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease 10" Cast iron skillet with butter cooking spray.
2. Combine four and baking powder and set aside.
3. Add almonds to food processor and blend until it resembles a flour mixture.
4. Cream butter and sugar together then add almond extract.
5. Combine flour mixture with butter mixture and milk gradually mixing together.
6. Once all mixed, fold in almond flour mixture.
7. Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
8. Garnish with powdered sugar.